Was born in Rio de Janeiro in 1968. Lives and works in Rio de Janeiro.
Paula Klien explores the invisible, working the accidents in the realm of spirituality, transcendence, silence and surrender. Her previous ten-year-experience with photography has been a liberating counterpoint for her intuitive journey.
As a photographer, the artist took part in the laboratory course and in the professional preparation for The Power of Nature with Steve McCurry. She was managed by ABÁmgt, while shooting many fashion campaigns and editorials. Paula Klien published two portrait books titled “Pessoas Me Interessam” (People Interest Me) and “It’s Raining Men.” She has also participated in other publications by invitation. Paula’s work has been displayed in Cultural venues, in collective exhibitions and solo exhibits such as “Edible” and “Gatos&Sapatos.” She has participated in two Biennales in Italy. As a member of Abrafoto and represented abroad by Production Paradise, she has clicked a huge number of models and personalities in Brazil and abroad. She was the last one to photograph Oscar Niemeyer in his bedroom at the age of 104 a few days before his demise.
Drawing and painting were Paula Klien’s first manifestations, but she has also worked with dance, music and has been a law student. Throughout her development, she has taken courses at EAV Parque Lage and has studied Art History with professor Marcos Campos. In 2016, she went to an art residence at KUNSTGUT School of Visual Arts in Berlin.
In 2017, she showed her work abroad six times, three of them in Berlin: a solo and a collective at the aquabitArt Gallery, which currently represents her work in Berlin, and another exhibit at the Positions Berlin Art Fair with the gallery. In New York by invitation of the Clio Art Fair, Buenos Aires with the Emma Thomas gallery at ArteBA, and London in a sought after solo exhibit at the Saatchi Gallery. In November, with Aura gallery at FEIRA PARTE in São Paulo.
In 2018, three more times in Germany: Paper Positions Berlin, a collective exhibition at aquabitArtgallery and another one at Deutsche Bank Finance. In Italy, the Salerno biennale. In Brazil, back to Emmathomas gallery she participated in the exhibition Desver A Arte, she had a huge artwork in the living room signed by famous architect João Armentano at CasaCor São Paulo and also participated in ArtRio 2018. She was the only brazilian invited to participate in the exhibition titled Pincel Oriental at Centro Cultural dos Correios together with recognized chinese artists and she also had a solo exhibition tittled Extremos Líquidos, curated by Marcus de Lontra Costa at Casa de Cultura Laura Alvim in Rio de Janeiro.
KUNSTGUT – Academy of Fine Arts Berlin
EAV – The Visual Arts School of Parque Lage
Art History with Professor Marcos Campos
Steve McCurry – Photographic Laboratory
● 2007 – Photo individual exhibition “Gatos&Sapatos” – IAB – Instituto dos Arquitetos do Brasil (RJ)
● 2010 – Photography book “It
s Raining Men” (Editora Mauad x) – Livraria da Travessa Ipanema (RJ) ● 2012 – Photo individual exhibition “Edible” – Galeria BNDES (RJ) ● 2014 – Photography book “Pessoas Me Interessam” (Realização: Ministério da Cultura – Governo Federal do Brasil / Patrocínio: Ortobom e Copelmi) – Jockey Club do Brasil (RJ) ● 2014 – Photography book “Pessoas Me Interessam” (Realização: Ministério da Cultura – Governo Federal do Brasil / Patrocínio: Ortobom e Copelmi) – Saraiva bookstore (RJ) ● 2015 – Photography book exhibition “Pessoas Me Interessam” (Realização: Ministério da Cultura – Governo Federal do Brasil / Patrocínio: Ortobom e Copelmi) – Clubhouse Rio (RJ) ● 2017 – Art exhibition Invisibilities – aquabitArt gallery – Auguststrasse ● 2018 – Art exhibition “Extremos Líquidos”, curadoria de Marcus de Lontra Costa – Casa de Cultura Laura Alvim (RJ) Participation: Besides photo campaigns: ● 2009 – Photo exhibition and book “Mulheres de Verdade” – São Conrado Fashion Mall (RJ) ● 2010 – Photo exhibition “Natural do Rio” – Shopping Leblon (RJ) ● 2011 – Photo exhibition “Shakespeare, retratos de uma festa luminosa” – Sesc Rio (RJ) ● 2011 – Photo exhibition “Brasileirice” – Real Astoria (RJ) ● 2011 – Biennale Internazionale Dellarte Contemporânea di Firenze – Fortezza da Basso (Italy)
● 2012 – Biennale d`arte Internazionale di Roma – Sala Del Bramante – 8th place fine art photography (Italy)
● 2012 – Photo exhibition and book “Shakespeare, retratos de uma festa luminosa” – Espaço Cultural da Porto Seguro (SP)
● 2012 – Book “Shakespeare, retratos de uma festa luminosa” Livraria Travessa Leblon (RJ)
● 2012 – Contemporary art fair “ARTIGO RIO” – Centro de convenções Sulamérica (RJ)
● 2013 – Contemporary art fair “ARTIGO RIO” – Centro de convenções Sulamérica (RJ)
● 2014 – LZ Arte – LZ Studio (RJ) Paula Klien is a member of Abrafoto and is represented internationally by Production Paradise.
● 2017 – Clio Art Fair – Chelsea Art District – Nyc
● 2017 – ArteBA – Buenos Aires – Emma Thomas (SP) Gallery
● 2017 – aquabitArt gallery – summer exhibition, Berlin
● 2017 – Start Art Fair – Saatchi Gallery, London
● 2017 – Positions Berlin Art Fair, Berlin
● 2017 – Feira Parte – Aura gallery, SP
● 2018 fevereiro – Camarote Incentivo Brasil – Vip Business Lounge, Sapucaí
● 2018 abril – Desver a Arte, galeria Emmathomas, São Paulo
● 2018 abril – Paper Positions Berlin, aquabitArt gallery
● 2018 – Exposição coletiva, aquabitArt gallery, Berlim
● 2018 – CasaCor SP – sala de estar, João Armentano
● 2018 – Deutsche Bank Finance – Agency Ludwigsfelde
● 2018 – Salerno biennale
● 2018 – ArtRio, with Emmathomas gallery
● 2018 – Coletiva Pincel Oriental – Centro Cultural dos Correios, Rio de Janeiro
2014 – Photography book “Pessoas Me Interessam” – People Interest Me (Support: Ministry of Culture – Federal Government of Brazil / Sponsors: Ortobom and Copelmi) – Jockey Club of Brazil (RJ)
2014 – Photography book “Pessoas Me Interessam” – People Interest Me (Support: Ministry of Culture – Federal Government of Brazil / Sponsors: Ortobom and Copelmi) – Saraiva Book Store (RJ)
2010 – Photography Book “It`s Raining Men” (Editora Mauad x) – Travessa Book Store Ipanema (RJ)
2012 – Photography book (collaboration) “Shakespeare - retratos de uma festa
luminosa” – Travessa Book Store Leblon (RJ)
2012 – International Art Biennale of Rome, Del Bramante Room – Eighth place award in Fine Art Photography (Italy)